Rogério Marson Rodrigues, Engineering Manager for Brazilian manufacturer Eletrofrio Refrigeração, will explain its propane (R290) chiller (enfriador de propano), the HighPack PRO, designed for supermarkets, at the ATMOsphere (ATMO) LATAM (Latin America) 2023 conference on natural refrigerant-based HVAC&R.
The conference will be held Wednesday, November 8, and Thursday, November 9, 2023, in Mexico City at the Barceló México Reforma hotel. It will be hosted by ATMOsphere, publisher of R744.com,
This is the second ATMO LATAM and the first to be held in person. The first was held online on October 22, 2020, as part of the online ATMO America conference.
Like other ATMO conferences, ATMO LATAM will gather key industry experts, including manufacturers, policy makers, end users and contractors, to learn about the latest developments in natural refrigerant-based HVAC&R systems, including those using CO2, (R744) hydrocarbons and ammonia (R717).
Presentations will be bilingual, translated into either English or Spanish.
The HighPack PRO (10 to 50kW/2.8 to 14.2TR capacity) uses R290 to cool propylene glycol in an outdoor installation with air condensation. It has one or two distinct refrigeration systems, each consisting of a compressor, microchannel condenser, liquid filter, liquid display, electronic expansion valve and brazed-plate evaporator. It is employed for medium-temperature cabinets and cold rooms, usually combined with a subcritical CO2 system for low temperature applications. The propane load on each HighPack PRO can range from 3 to 8kg (6.6 to 17.6lbs), depending on the cooling capacity of the equipment.
The propane circuit is inside the HighPack PRO in a separate compartment from the glycol pumps and electrical panel. In this compartment, a propane sensor and a permanent ventilation system are installed through the application of two exhaust fans, operating simultaneously, maintaining a constant airflow within the compartment. The propane circuit leaves the compartment to reach the condenser, which is on top of the equipment, through copper pipes.
A cooling system with the HighPack PRO can have one or more units in parallel, all independent of each other, as many as are necessary to meet the thermal load demand of the system, through a common propylene glycol circuit.
CO2 case-study presentations at the conference will include:
- Mauricio Baena, Regional Sales Manager, LATAM, Advansor, and Ingeniero Julio Viera, Corporate Project Manager, Axionlog, on CO2 refrigeration solutions for distribution centers: an efficient and sustainable solution (Soluciones de refrigeracion con CO2 para centros de distribución: una solución eficiente y sustentable).
- Ignacio Chaparro, Sustainability & New Technologies Manager, Epta, on CO2Transcritical Real Comparison (Comparativa real de CO2 transcrítico).
- Rolando Bissot, Engineering and Maintenance Manager, Arneg, on Integrated Refrigeration & Air Conditioning CO2 System for Supermarket applications (Sistema de refrigeración y aire acondicionado CO2 integrados para aplicaciones de supermercado).
- Giacomo Pisano, CO2 Compressors Business Development Manager, Dorin, on CO2 system efficiency in warm climates, a real example from Italy (Eficiencia del sistema de CO2 en climas cálidos, un ejemplo real de Italia)
- Raúl Alanis, Mechanical Engineer, Güntner, onOvercoming the challenges to operate low-temperature and medium-temperature (LT and MT) 1400kW (398TR) CO2 transcritical in warm-climate Monterrey City, Mexico. (Superando los retos para operar CO2 transcrítico en la Ciudad de Monterrey, México. Caso de estudio de almacén de CO2 transcrítico baja y media temperatura (LT & MT) 1400kW (398TR) en clima cálido)
Other case-study presentations will include:
- Miguel Hauser, Senior Business Development Manager LATAM, Hussmann, on StoreConnect:leak detection and predictive analytics for commercial refrigeration (StoreConnect: detección de fugas y análisis predictivo para refrigeración comercial).
- Carolina Vélez, Technical Advisor, GIZ Proklima, on The Green Cooling Initiative III (La iniciativa de enfriamiento verde III).
- Adolfo Santos,Sales Manager NOLA, Cold Chain atCopeland, and Manuel Alarcón, ABE Refrigeración Industrial, on Ammonia integrated industrial application – a safe and sustainable solution (Aplicación industrial integrada de amoníaco – Una solución segura y sostenible).
- Rogério Marson Rodrigues, Engineering Manager, Eletrofio Refrigeração, on HighPack PRO – Propane Chiller (HighPack PRO – Enfriador de propano).
There will also be a keynote, presentations on global market trends and market and technology trends in Latin America, end user and installers panels and policy discussions on standards, regulations and PFAS.
Attendees will include end users, contractors, policy makers, manufacturers, researchers, academics, consultants, NGOs, associations, media, and other key industry experts and stakeholders.
You can register for the event here and find the preliminary program and other information on the event website. End users can register for free, and contractors/installers of HVAC&R systems are eligible to receive one free ticket per organization, with a 50% discount on additional tickets.
The Gold sponsors of ATMO LATAM 2023 are TEKO, Arneg, Epta, Copeland and Hussmann. Information on sponsorships can be found here.
“The use of natural refrigerants in HVAC&R solutions is growing in Latin America, and we’re thrilled to give the opportunity to all industry stakeholders to learn, engage and help accelerate the transition to greener cooling technology alternatives, with natural refrigerants only!” said Marc Chasserot, CEO of ATMOsphere.